The Premier of Articles of the Moment, Blogged Version
With no further ado....
- For anyone who has seen Minority Report or the latest Bourney James Bond, you might be interested to know that such computer interfaces are closer to reality than you think.
- If you haven't been following all those Georgia/Russia shenanigans, this letter by the Russian UN rep to the NYT might be interesting, as it lambasts the US media, among others, for assuming Russia was guilty from the get go.
- Food prices are rising a lot more than you may realize, since many companies are "secretly" reducing the volume of their packaging on top of everything else.
- Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch is actually a couple millennia old. And on a related note, Monty Python decided to be savvy and cool and create their own official YouTube channel.
- I'm not too sure about this, but maybe, if you click this link (although I'm not saying you should click this link), you might, possibly, find out that, if you want, uncertainty is more stressful than negative feedback. Tell it like it is, folks.
- The grass is always greener...white med students are more likely to be interested in alternative therapies and medicines, while their non-white classmates seem to reject their own cultures' cures. This is not good, since a lot of medical wisdom from Asia, Africa, and India might be lost before white doctors can collect it.
- Four interesting new studies on the psychological front...There is a correct way to study...Deja vu has been revealed...Athletes can increase their reaction times by 53% via biofeedback...and Facial scars increase male attractiveness.
- Another reason not to worry so much about China—even in Asia, the US is the preferred security partner over China.
- New archeological evidence of belief in souls from 2800 years ago.
- Although I usually only include articles that confirm my personal anti-religious/pro-spiritual beliefs, this one is interesting and significant enough to share nonetheless—"attending religious services sharply cuts risk of death".
- As yet another reminder of how little we actually do know (i.e. too many ignorant people believe that Western science and medicine are infallible and all-knowing), we only just now know how bleach kills bacteria.
- And finally, on a lighter and more absurd note, here are the chicken police breaking up a rabbit fight.
See you right here next time!